Sunday, May 23, 2010

Paper Rose Tutorial

Y'all ready for this?  There are quite a few photos, but I wanted my tutorial to be really detailed.  I hope you enjoy making these paper roses as much as I do.

Here is a close up of the finished project.

 
  • You start with 3 flower cut-outs.  (Punched, die-cut or even freehand drawn.  I die-cut mine with my Slice.  That way I could do several different size roses.) I used a 5 petal flower, but I'm sure you can modify the instructions to work with a 6 petal flower.
 
  • Cut a slice to the middle in the first flower.
  • Cut 1 petal out of the second flower.
  • Cut 2 petals out of the last flower.
  • Save the cut out pieces.  You'll use them as your flower center.
  • Ink the edges of all the pieces with Distress Ink.
 
  • Overlap and glue 2 of the petals from the first (sliced) flower.
  • A couple tips at this point:
    • Be careful not to overglue because later the glimmer mist will not stick to any glue that has seeped out and dried.
    • The pattern you want to show should be on the inside.  In  my case, the rosey pattern under my thumb.
 
  • Overlap and glue together 2 of the petals from the 4 petal piece of the second flower. (below)

 
  • Overlap and glue together 2 of the petals from the 3 petal piece of the third flower. (below) 

  • So these are what your three glued pieces should look like now.

  • For the 2 smaller pieces, I bent the bottom, pointy tip under which gives you a surface to glue them together inside of each other.
  • Depending on the project for your roses, you might also want to bend the tip of the large piece to allow you to adhere it to a flat surface.
  • **In a couple days, I will post a 3-D project in which I did not bend the large piece and you'll see why.
  • Next roll the 1 petal and the 2 petal small scraps as pictured below.  (The smaller one will be tighter.)
  • TIP:  The color you want showing will be on the outside for these two small pieces.  Notice my rosey print now.
  • Glue the smaller piece into a tight spiral.  Allow to dry.
  • Glue an edge of the 2 petal piece to the small, tight spiral.
  • Leave this 2nd piece rolled a bit looser and glue the other edge.
  • Trim about 1/3 of this glued piece off the end.  Otherwise it will stick out of the rose too much.

  • Now you glue all the pieces together to look like this.

  • Allow the flower to dry completely.
  • Then spray with water or Glimmer Mist.
  • This makes the paper more pliable and allows you to curl the edges of the roses.
  • NOTE: Instead of curling the petals under, you can also curl them into points (like a triangle) for a different looking rose.

  • Last, I added glossy accents to the edges and inside bud of the rose and sprinkled with clear glitter glass.  (Chunky clear glitter would also work.)

  • Ta Da!!  El fin!

Thanks for stopping by, I really hope this tutorial was helpful and fun.  Be sure to check back to see my 3D project using these paper roses.  Lots of love and hugs!


3 comments:

Jenna Kellso said...

I LOVE MY SLICE!!!!!

Ivy said...

Hi Holly, you won the giveaway on my blog for the book 'Life is a Verb'! Please email me with your address and I'll send it out to you by the weekend. Thanks for playing!

tabithalenox at gmail dot com

Kim

Holly said...

Oh my goodness.... DIVINE ♥ love these .... thank you for an AWESOME tutorial!!
My name is Holly Moore as well lol, so it was weird coming across your blog... I love it it's gorgeous ☺
xx