- 1 sleeve of Saltines (about)
- 2 cups brown sugar - I used 1 dark, 1 regular
- 2 sticks butter
- 12 oz pkg. Chocolate chips - I used mashed up Hershey's Kisses, so I wouldn't have to run to the store. (I have also used 1/2 chocolate chips, 1/2 butterscotch oooh yummy!)
- Finely chopped nuts (optional) - I normally don't care for nuts on my sweet stuff, but there is something yummy and crunchy about putting it on this toffee.
2. Bring butter and sugar to boil and continue boiling 4-6 minutes or so.
3. Pour toffee over crackers.
4. Bake at 400 for about 5-7 minutes. (Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.)
5. Sprinkle chips evenly over toffee. Wait a few minutes for them to melt.
6. Spread melted chips to edges and smooth over toffee.
7. Sprinkle nuts over the top.
8. Fast cool to set in refrigerator, or slowly on counter.
9. Crack a piece off and enjoy!
These went fast at the party and even faster when I brought the extras home.
Close up of the yummy layers!